A risk audit is a check of the specific risks of a certain landfill. This audit should allow to identify short and long term liabilities in relation to legal requirements and the concept of good practice.
A risk audit is based on:
- specific measurement of emissions to the environment (groundwater, surface water, atmosphere)
analysis of :
- indications of contaminants (direct or indirect) in the environment
- behaviour of certain pollutants in the environment
- mobility of contaminants in the environment
- study of legal requirements
- benchmarking to identify the level of good practice
In view of the type of landfill, specific parameters might be analysed.